Supporting Nottinghamshire GPs to discover joy in their work and find a better working life
The inclusion of links to other companies or individuals does not imply endorsement, we feel the opportunities listed on this page may be useful to Nottinghamshire GPs considering or currently working in portfolio careers.
Find out all the latest training opportunities for GPs across Nottinghamshire. They include clinical specialist and generalised training as well as specific skills development.
Some opportunities will have discounts for those who access them through the service, so get in touch for more information on each opportunity.
- Following the successful launch of the Musculoskeletal (MSK) Champions programme in 2018, Versus Arthritis is delighted to announce that they are now open for applications to the MSK Champions programme 2019; a prestigious leadership development opportunity. Contact us for details and how to apply.
- Thrive have a new dynamic programme of online education courses in Social and Therapeutic Horticulture (STH) and Green Care. This informs you about how it works, who it can help, and what the research shows about its effectiveness. This opportunity will support individuals to begin using and improve the way they already use horticulture for health.
- The Nottinghamshire Local Medical Committee can offer a range of free learning and development opportunities available to Nottinghamshire LMC membership practices. These are subject to availability through the East Midlands Leadership Academy. Click here to view the courses available to you. Please contact us to apply for a course.
- Dr Adam Harrison and Dr Helen Garr are hosting CV and LinkedIn workshops. View the poster here.
Please contact us for more information
View the most recent prospects around Nottinghamshire, including GP practice vacancies and opportunities for portfolio working within Nottinghamshire. Please note that opportunities can be paid or voluntary.
To find out more about each vacancy and how to apply, get in touch with GP Portfolio Plus.
- Chetwynd Barracks Medical Centre is looking for a GP Locum until the end of March 2019. This is a paid opportunity. Please contact for more information.
- RCGP Quality Improvement Regional Champion – The RCGP are looking to explore the feasibility of developing QI Regional Champions on a voluntary basis to raise awareness and improve understanding of quality improvement in primary care. Contact us for more information.
- SERMO are looking for doctors to participate in online medical market research. You will be compensated for your time and efforts, and your participation is always at your discretion. Contact us for more details and information on how to sign up.
- Invitation to health and care professionals from all disciplines to apply for membership of the East Midlands Clinical Senate Assembly. This may not be a paid opportunity, please clarify with the East Midlands Clinical Senate. Contact us if you are interested in this opportunity.
- Medical Tutors needed – Clinical Pharmacists in General Practice programme. CPPE who run the project are looking to recruit some more facilitators for this programme. The teaching consists of 1-day sessions based in Birmingham (near New St station) and this is a paid opportunity, and you can also claim travel expenses. Please contact us if you are interested in this opportunity.
- Local prisons in Nottinghamshire are looking to recruit GPs on a sessional basis for routine GP patients only. Working hours are 8am-2pm with excellent hourly rates, 15-minute appointments, flexible working, and peer support from other local GPs. This is a paid opportunity. Please contact us if you are interested in this opportunity.
- Chair of the Healthwatch Nottingham and Nottinghamshire Board The role of Chair is supported by an Honorarium and additional expenses will be paid. The duties of the Chair will take approximately six days per month (or 45 hours per month) flexible commitment. This role is suitable for those who have previous experience in leadership roles. Please contact us if you are interested in this opportunity.
- The GMC are always on the lookout for talented and passionate people to join them in protecting patients and improving medical education and practice across the UK. There are many roles offered to you as a GMC Associate, contact us for more information.
- Mobile Medical Reports are looking for doctors nationwide to carry out Medical Examination Reports for individuals requiring medical screening assessments. They offer doctors on the panel generous remuneration for completed Medical Examination Reports. They also provide mileage reimbursement. Contact us for more information.
- BUPA has advocated and sessional roles in Nottinghamshire to cover some ad hoc sessions to see their health assessment customers. During the session, there may also be 1-2 private GP appointments which are either 15 or 30 minutes. This is a paid opportunity, contact us for more information.
Nottinghamshire GP Practice Vacancies Nottinghamshire LMC’s Job Vacancies Page contains more general positions available in the area, including Salaried GP and Locum posts.
These links will help you explore the opportunities that are available within general practice, from a range of portfolio options to how to specialise in your current role.
- Health Education England released one-page guidance on the Retained GP Scheme. Click here for more information.
- Your guide to the winter indemnity scheme 2018-19, information can be viewed here.
- Health Education England showcase the many reasons to be a GP in the #WhyGP campaign, you can view their video here.
- The RCGP has developed a framework in partnership with NHS England, which describes a new approach to the accreditation of GPwERs and is aligned to the appraisal and revalidation process.
Blogs and articles of interest
The following blogs and articles of interest showcase how and why GPs have made changes in their career which has led them to a happier and healthier career path.
- GP Portfolio Plus featured in a GPonline article in August 2018.
- GP Portfolio Plus featured in a Pulse article in August 2018.
- Doctor-turned-career coach Evgenia Galinskaya has a series of excellent and inspiring blogs covering alternative careers for doctors
- Dr Kate White talks about alternative careers on her blog and website
- Dr Karen Morton, consultant obstetrician and gynaecologist gives her insight into medicine and alternative careers for doctors.
- Dr Zaid Al-Najjar explains what his role as a medico-legal adviser involves and how he still practices as a GP.
- The Wellbeing GP is a great Facebook page run by Dr Helen Garr for general wellbeing for GPs
- Dr Anna Cumisky explains the practical steps GPs can take to help make the transition to locuming a success.
Find out all about the useful events open to GPs, from conferences around the country to local university run events.
To find out more about each event, click the relevant links or get in touch with the GP Portfolio Plus team.
- Dr Adam Harrison and Dr Helen Garr are hosting CV and LinkedIn workshops. Details can be found on the event poster here.
Please contact us for more information
- The Pastoral Network is made up of a number of experienced advisors, who are mostly retired GPs, available and trained to provide personal and confidential support to any local GP undergoing any kind of personal difficulty or crisis. The advisors are able to signpost a menu of experts and professional services to suit different needs.
- A Balint Group in Nottingham offers time to share concerns and thoughts with other doctors and professionals who work with people who are of concern, puzzling or require a bit more thought. This group meets on the third Thursday of the month from 19.30 to 21.30 in Nottingham. More information can be found in this leaflet.
- GP-S is a free mentoring, coaching and signposting service for general practice which supports you to make the best decisions for you and allows you to create your own positive change within your career and personal life. GP-S can support Practice Nurses in the Nottingham City CCG area and GPs across Nottinghamshire.
- The Nottinghamshire LMC wellbeing section has a topic dedicated to alternative careers and portfolio working. This section allows you to think about what your skills and interests are and even look at some helpful articles about networking.
- The GP Health Service can help doctors with issues relating to a mental health concern, including stress or depression, or an addiction problem, in particular where these might affect work. If you think that you have a mental health problem that requires specialist psychiatric help, you must contact your GP to seek help.
GP Portfolio Plus Newsletter
The GP Portfolio Plus monthly e-newsletter showcases the opportunities we have to offer and the benefits of being a part of the GP Portfolio Plus initiative.
Click here to receive our newsletter. You can also view our previous publications by clicking the links below.
You can send us feedback regarding your experience with our services by clicking the below link